The Miles Dyslexia Centre team of specialist teachers provide additional teaching support for dyslexic children in local schools in partnership with Gwynedd, Ynys Mon and Conwy Local Authorities.
The Miles Dyslexia Centre's work covers the very large, predominantly rural area of North West Wales. Consequently the Centre’s specialist teachers typically work with pupils in their own schools, and offer tuition in English or Welsh according to specific need. The staff at the Miles Dyslexia Centre work in close co-operation and collaboration with the schools and LEAs involved. Miles Dyslexia Centre teachers follow the Bangor Dyslexia Teaching System and members of the team are fully involved in the development of teaching materials in both English and Welsh.
Being affiliated with the School of Psychology, the Miles Dyslexia Centre’s Teaching Service is also proud to be actively involved in training students with an interest in education, and specialisms in language and literacy tuition. Our student trainees have become a valued part of our teaching activities.
Support for literacy and numeracy is available in English and Welsh
Staff at the Unit also give advice and offer consultations to parents, teachers and schools throughout the area.
The teaching service provides:
Programmes for pupils and students:
- One to one and small group tuition (in English and Welsh) for dyslexic pupils in local schools following LEA identification and referral
- Private tuition both in and out of school time by arrangement
- A well-stocked resource room that includes reference books and materials for both assessment and teaching
- After School and Saturday Teaching Service
Professional Development and Teacher Training
- A range of teacher and classroom assistant training courses that are accredited by the British Dyslexia Association
- Regular professional development training to ensure that the teaching team continually update their skills and consolidate their experience and practice
- Workshops and training sessions for parents, individual schools and LEAs by arrangement
- Advice and consultations for parents and teachers
- A BDA accredited training course for classroom assistants
- INSET courses for teachers and classroom assistants